This is your official student ID card. For students with a Croatian citizenship, this card also serves to provide discounts at students’ restaurants and coffee shops (“kantinas”). During your first days in Zagreb you will have your photo taken (and it’s the same photo you will have during the whole of your stay, so smile pretty!) and the card will be available approximately a week later.

This is the official communication site for all courses during all years of study. You’ll be given a username and password during your first weeks here, so as soon as you can, log-on and get familiar with all its features. The administration regularly posts important announcements here and documents such as course outlines and schedules are available for download. Some professors also  provide course materials and use other interactive features of the site.

This is the official school email account: SquirrelMail. This account requires the same username and password as LMS. Some professors require you to use this address when contacting them and any new info posted to LMS routes an announcement here. If you already have an email address that you use and love, you may find it most convenient to re-route your SquirrelMail into your existing account.

Studomat is the website where all your information as a student is held and updated. The student ID number located on your indeks and x-card is the ‘user name’ you will use to log-in to this site.

All exam terms are posted on studomat. Students MUST „sign-up“ here for their exams, usually 7 days in advance. Cancellations are also made via studomat and are usually allowed up until 3 days prior to the exam.

GRADE BOK (“Indeks”)
This thin, dark blue book is the permanent record of the courses in which you’ve been enroled and the grades you’ve received at their completion. It is as essential as your passport: take good care of it! You’ll need it in order to enrol the courses, to take your exams, to apply for your permission to stay, and any other time you need proof that you’re a full time student (such as receiving the student rate for your tram pass). Usually during the last few days of a course, students are required to present their indeks to the course co-ordinator for his or her signature. Obtaining this signature allows you to apply for the final exam. Eligibility for these signatures typically depends on class attendance and activities. When you pass an exam, the examiner fills in your grade and  signs your indeks one more time. So remember to bring your indeks to both written and oral exams!

Each course typically has a final exam during previously accorded exam terms, consisting of a written (usually multiple choice questions) followed by an oral exam as the requirement for passing the course. Eligible students have 3 chances to pass all parts (ie, you must pass both the written and oral portions within your 3 tries). In case a student fails 3 times, he or she may have a last chance to take the exam by going to komisija, an oral exam in front of a committee of several professors. This applies to most, but NOT all courses. Be sure to listen for the particulars of the exam at the start of each course.

(European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) – The European system for the collection and transfer of credits assigned to courses and particular students’ tasks (eg, seminars, activities during practicals or tutorials) on the basis of a degree of workload for certain students’ study obligations. Credit systems are based on various criteria such as the importance of a subject or the number of contact hours in a course; ECTS credits describe student workload in terms of time employed to complete a course or a course unit. This represents an approach to European learning and teaching which places the student at the centre of the educational process. The workload of any official learning activity completed can be expressed in credits and can be placed on a student’s transcript of records. In the calculation of workload the following items play a role: the total number of contact hours for the course unit (number of hours per week x number of weeks); preparation before and finalising of notes after the attendance of the lecture / seminar; the amount of further independent work required to finish the course successfully, etc. Independent work can contain the following items (the collection and selection of relevant material, reading and study of that material, preparation of an oral or written examination, writing of a paper or dissertation).

Courses which bring more credits, are generally more complex, with more lectures and tutorials, require more preparation and independent work, but also allow to acquire a greater degree of knowledge and skills. In one academic year, a full-time student can earn 60 credits by completing his/her student obligations (attendance at lectures, seminars, tutorials, writing papers, taking partials, exams …). The aim of ECTS is also to facilitate the student’s mobility within the exchange programs of for students who want to continue his/her studies on other high education institution or study program with possibility of recognition of credits already earned.

Keeping up-to-date with the paperwork requirements in a new country is never easy but it’s worth the peace of mind. As foreigners arriving to a new country, it is our responsibilities to be aware of laws and regulations pertaining to our stays. However, any current student understands that this is not easy and we’d like to do our best to help this process along for you. Here is our interpretation of the rules, processes and expectations along with what we hope are some useful websites.

If you are non-EU citizen don’t forget to have your passport presented (in case of visa, you should get the stamp) at the border when you arrive! Avoid the hassle by asking the border guard to kindly stamp your passport!

EU citizens need to present a national ID.

The official source of the latest information regarding the documents required of foreign residents during their stay is always Ministarstvo unutarnjih poslova, the Croatian police („MUP“) whose main station is located at Petrinjska 30. Their telephone number is +385 1 45 63 623. You can find lots of helpful and the most up-to-date information on their website (www.mup.hr). (This is another website where the translate feature of Google can be very helpful!)

Shortly after arriving in Zagreb, you should get your national identity number “osobni identifikacijski broj – OIB”). You’ll need this for many purposes including registering for classes in September. You can apply in-person at Draškovićeva 15 or on-line: http://oib.oib.hr.

Be sure to check for info the latest on paperwork requirements and useful downloads on the portion of the MUP website pertaining to foreigners. The English version site is available at www.mup.hr/120009.aspx. Everything is quite well explained on the site but here’s a summary of what you’ll find. All foreign students staying in Croatia must obtain a „Temporary residence permit“. The permission is valid for one year after which time, a renewal application is submitted. All applications can be submitted at MUP in Zagreb. All documentation must be in Croatian, using official translations when needed and none can be more than six months old. The students, who need a visa for entry in Croatia, should submit the request to a respective Croatian diplomatic mission, while the students who do not need a visa, may submit their requests in the police station in Zagreb.

For additional information, a contact-person from Zagreb’s Police Department is available at tel. +385 1 45 63 623.

While waiting for your permission to stay, you will be able to stay in Croatia legally on the visa. Be sure to check the Croatian visa requirements for your country. One month before
the Permission expires, you’ll need to be in Zagreb in order to resubmit similar documents and paperwork as in your initial application.

Something not mentioned on the pages of the MUP website but can be found in the „Aliens Act” which is available on the site for download, is that once you are the bearer of a Temporary residence permit, you will not be allowed to leave Croatia for more than 30 days at a time in order for your Permit to remain valid.

Another important piece of info that’s not explicitly stated is that while you have a Temporary residence Permit, you will be required to participate in the Croatian National Health Plan. Don’t be surprised during your renewal application process when you’re asked for a biljeg. This is a stamp that shows you’ve paid a small fee to the state for handling some paperwork. You can buy them at most Tisak news agents’ stands. You’ll need one at the tax office for your proof of having paid your health insurance and you’ll also need one when submitting your application for renewal at MUP. It’s a little tricky to know how to handle these as you may encounter that a price has changed from year to year and you’ll only really know how much you owe once someone asks you for one. To be safe, check the MUP website for their current price of paperwork handling (they refer to it in English as a „revenue stamp“) and arrive at MUP with a biljeg paper clipped to your application. In all other cases, wait until you’re asked for one before dashing to the nearest Tisak.

Once you’ve received your Temporary Permission to Stay, you are required to participate in the national health insurance plan Hrvatski Zavod za Osiguranje (HZZO). In order to do so, you’ll need to visit the insurance office at Klovićeva 1 (0800 79 79) with your passport, indeks and proof of address (ie. your registration of address from MUP).

There are two parts to the health insurance plan.

-Required: The basic coverage („the white card“) covers most of your medical costs but will require you to pay some portion, depending on the services. For example, a simple check-up will cost about 15 kuna but additional testing (e.g. x-rays, blood work) will be quite pricey. The monthly fee for this coverage is about 420 HRK.

-Supplemental: For full coverage insurance, you can participate in the supplementary health insurance plan (“orange card”, dopunsko zdravstveno osiguranje, 0800 79 89). This requires a lump-sum payment of 840 HRK at the start of each year and ensures that you’ll pay nothing for any medical services.

After signing up for your health plan, you’ll receive your health insurance card(s) in the mail as well as your bill. If you choose the additional coverage, your first insurance bill will be about 1.000 HRK and thereafter the bill for your basic coverage of 420 HRK each month. These can be paid in cash at any post-office.

When renewing your Temporary Permission to stay, you’ll need to prove that you’ve paid your health insurance during the previous year. You do this by receiving a form from your local tax office. Visit the HZZO website or ask a neighbor to help you find the nearest office. Your final health insurance payment for the year will be due at about the same time you’ll need to submit your renewal application for your Permission to Stay. Pay close attention to the dates so that your health insurance is paid-up before requesting your payment proof and that you have time to visit your tax office before your application for renewal is due.


Print Friendly